Suggestion INCREASE BURN TIMER TO 20-30 DAYS and watch player base come back

DrCocktapus

After playing since release and being in the biggest clan in my region and talking to alot of players from other clans in our region, longer burn times would revive more players we believe.

It would allow for bigger bases to be built (I know this games not intended for this) but in all honestly it was alot more interesting when the tiles were static as you could plan attacks people could set up bases and get more comfortable and not have to worry about moving walkers constatnly

Fights for new tiles would be more intense

And for the casual players they would not have to spend hours moving all Thier walkers everytime they have spare time to play the game.

VWithnail

100% agree. The burn was a nice theory but it's ended up making the game into a second job because of the logistics involved in driving walkers around.

Jeon

I agree, two weeks would be a compromise I would accept, ten days is still too short, a full month would be perfect game-wise. But I guess devs designed the game to not give rest to nomads, a complete struggle all the way out, brief moments of pleasure and then hours and hours of high risk low reward chores.

DrCocktapus

I agree, two weeks would be a compromise I would accept, ten days is still too short, a full month would be perfect game-wise. But I guess devs designed the game to not give rest to nomads, a complete struggle all the way out, brief moments of pleasure and then hours and hours of high risk low reward chores.
Which is good in theory I agree, but it didn't work the burn really made that player base dwindle amongst other reasons but I think it's honestly to fast :) hopefully they see this and consider slowing it down

I don't think many player would disagree it's too fast, every player I've spoken to say the same :)

Finger crossed

Cur

I Agree. Something i hear from friends whom i try to entice back to the game whenever you release new content. "No. I liked building bases and theres no point playing if theres only time to keep it up for few days" (We were a small 3man group. So it would take us time to work towards materials to make the thing, but once it was made it was used extensively)

Yes it got hit sometimes, yes we lost stuff but it wasnt really much of a deterrant vs the convenience of having something on map to process shit.

I personally have adapted but i would very much enjoy having a base of operations to work out of for a decent ammount of time.

And i agree the burn times are too short at the moment. And the change was definitely a huge factor in large numbers of players leaving.

Zed

After playing since release and being in the biggest clan in my region and talking to alot of players from other clans in our region, longer burn times would revive more players we believe.

It would allow for bigger bases to be built (I know this games not intended for this) but in all honestly it was alot more interesting when the tiles were static as you could plan attacks people could set up bases and get more comfortable and not have to worry about moving walkers constatnly

Fights for new tiles would be more intense

And for the casual players they would not have to spend hours moving all Thier walkers everytime they have spare time to play the game.
Excellent point there Cock, the first major dip in the player base was when the short burn was introduced.

Weirdpete

Agree completely, I would even put it at 30 days from the furthest west to east.
Having that kind of time would allow other things to be worked into it, like a water cap gradient discussed before, where the tiles closest to the east are uncapped, and they develop a stricter cap over time.

VWithnail

Yeah the hacks need to be dealt with - but it's pointless even being here unless the assumption is that they will be dealt with. Suggestions like the OP operate under the assumption that the game will be brought into a state where hacking is significantly rarer than presently.

Even if ESP is a thing - having tiles not being so ephemeral would improve the game.

Jeon

Which is good in theory I agree, but it didn't work the burn really made that player base dwindle amongst other reasons but I think it's honestly to fast :) hopefully they see this and consider slowing it down

I don't think many player would disagree it's too fast, every player I've spoken to say the same :)

Finger crossed
My first clan disbanded when tile burn came in, I mean like 15 people, complete stop, so at least for my experience, it did have an impact on player base. Btw they were all pve frogs, but they saw the update as an unjustified increase of stuff to do to enjoy what we had enjoyed for a whole month with no burn.

Midnattsol

I'm not claiming for this to be the sole cause of the problem, but if you have a problem with the tiles burning up too quickly, try thinking through it, if you can adapt to the situation some more. Do you really need all your walkers? Could the functionality of two walkers be merged into only one doing it? Do your walkers have iron water upgrades to make moving easy? Could some walkers be made disposable and you reconstruct them after every move (spiders)? You might find some option to minimise the issue you have with the burn. Try not to apply the playstyle you developed when there was no burn to the current mechanics with the burn, it will cause frustration. Habits are a bitch.

Jeon

I'm not claiming for this to be the sole cause of the problem, but if you have a problem with the tiles burning up too quickly, try thinking through it, if you can adapt to the situation some more. Do you really need all your walkers? Could the functionality of two walkers be merged into only one doing it? Do your walkers have iron water upgrades to make moving easy? Could some walkers be made disposable and you reconstruct them after every move (spiders)? You might find some option to minimise the issue you have with the burn. Try not to apply the playstyle you developed when there was no burn to the current mechanics with the burn, it will cause frustration. Habits are a bitch.
I maybe loved the game more then my old clan, after burn i joined a bigger clan, then couple weeks later finally entered a mega tribe, best decision ever, was able to enjoy the last couple months of large scale PvP and super relaxed PvE. I use only my ancient q36 dinghy with foragers and stuff, all t3 but mobility i think, the one costing wood planks, water t4. And i use only that, through that i'm able to contribute to the chores when needed, all the workstation are usually amassed and public for our clan to use; i made also a q65 buffalo but didn't have time to upgrade its water before going out for vacation, so it's now abandoned south-west, got also a q38 mollusk and a q56 spider ashore there, last time i used them was early june. So no, i don't have any issues with the burn at all, a lot of casual players that i've farmed with truly hated when the burn patch was deployed, that's it.

Midnattsol

I maybe loved the game more then my old clan, after burn i joined a bigger clan, then couple weeks later finally entered a mega tribe, best decision ever, was able to enjoy the last couple months of large scale PvP and super relaxed PvE. I use only my ancient q36 dinghy with foragers and stuff, all t3 but mobility i think, the one costing wood planks, water t4. And i use only that, through that i'm able to contribute to the chores when needed, all the workstation are usually amassed and public for our clan to use; i made also a q65 buffalo but didn't have time to upgrade its water before going out for vacation, so it's now abandoned south-west, got also a q38 mollusk and a q56 spider ashore there, last time i used them was early june. So no, i don't have any issues with the burn at all, a lot of casual players that i've farmed with truly hated when the burn patch was deployed, that's it.
Well yes, i can understand the dislike for the burn patch, it changed the game in a radical way. We can always ask why the devs didn't implement it from day 1 so people would not have gotten used to the game as it was without, but there are many more radical changes to come, given that this game is in development. It's also up to us as players of a game which is under development to expect and deal with drastic changes as the game could not develop far from its current state if we were to insist on these changes not happening. If the game would have launched with the burn and it then would have gotten removed, people would now complain about how the zergs bunker down in their massive bases and nothing can be done to fight them anymore.

DeadNutZ

Yup increase to 3ish weeks and make it "one tile per clan"! and undo the cap limit doesn't help anyways! and bring the global map tiles back to full capacity! im feeling like im in a pubg map with the blue zone shrinking in on me! Fix the ESP problem! And watch everyone FLOOD back!

Last edited:

Rain

I agree with the OP and most everything else contributed in this thread. I will add that for me, as a solo, before the burn I was bouncing between just a few tiles and getting to know not just the owners of those tiles but also the other farmers in them. Things were traded. Conversations were happening. I even showed one guy the inside of my base and got some building tips from him. But the moment the burn started was when it became nearly impossible to build relationships with people around me. Even when I made a tentative friend, i would log in and find they were gone. I'd ask in a discord dm where they went, and their tribe had moved over a 2500 water north. By the time I got my walkers there (it took days! some of my walkers only can do like 80 water trips!), they had moved on, I followed again and they had disbanded. Someone suggested fewer walkers. I have thought of doing away with some of my 5 walkers (my original farming dingy, 1 quality dingy i am in process of upgrading, 1 quality spider, 1 mollusk that carries my base/crafting stuff, and 1 firefly for exploring/farming new area that seems probably dangerous), but each has a purpose and fewer walkers also means greater risk of losing everything. I'm not a hoarder, but I am trying to save tablets for a wingsuit unlock and for several other things.

Now when I meet someone who is friendy-ish, unless somehow in that single session we get to enough trust to share discords, I will never see them again next time I log in.

So I agree, a longer tile life would be great. I do love the burn mechanic, but it's too fast. Plus it really stretches the limit of believability to think the flora and fauna that exist could somehow survive these rapid changes. (In an already kinda stretched thin setting... which btw I happen to love for the atmosphere!)

Last edited:

Magnus Lefou

I think it's in the devs plan to have 2 weeks timer tiles but one of the huge issue we have in this game (because it's still an alpha), it's that devs are unsynchronized between their contents and they don't care and/or don't have time for making the game balanced after each content they add. So, I think they have planned to create more new type of tiles that will match with the 2 weeks timer because the more different type of tiles you have, the more wide world you will have from west to east.
For me it's the same logic for tablets, fragments and modules because the content to get tablets and modules is too low compared to the cost of tablets and the probability of droping modules and they won't make balancing changes for each content they add. Any new content you add in a game can break the balance, it's not worth the devs time to make balancing every day for an alpha.

If i'm right and they really plan to make 2 weeks tiles, I think it's enough. Maybe some of you are nostalgic about other survival game that have static bases but i don't think they create the game to make a simple copy of other survival games. For me, having mobile walkers and bases are good ideas but they must go further in the nomadic system, to begin, by making walker shifting between tiles easier by adding a system to move multiple walkers at once and/or make changes in water consumption while travelling to match the walker size and the number of players on it. For me it's aberrant to have the same water cost while travelling alone on a stilletto as having 30 players on it. Also, if they can make procedural maps it would become greater because we shouldn't always have the same landscape if we always have to move.

Last edited: